BMW has revealed the new 8 Series that goes on sale in November with two versions: The 530hp V8, BMW M850i xDrive Coupe M Performance model and the BMW 840d xDrive Coupe in-line six diesel that produces 320hp. Pricing is set to start from €125,725 OTR in Ireland.
BMW developed the 8 Series in parallel to the BMW M8 and the BMW M8 GTE endurance racer. BMW is keen to highlight the 8’s low centre of gravity, well-balanced weight distribution, lightweight construction using aluminium, magnesium and carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic (CFRP), aerodynamically optimised and virtually lift-free body, powerful engines, sports exhaust system, rear axle differential lock and extremely stiff body and suspension structure.
It should handle? BMW tells us that Adaptive M suspension, Integral Active Steering and mixed-size tyres come as standard. Active roll stabilisation optionally available for the BMW M850i xDrive Coupe. Other quirks include: The 8 has the slimmest headlights of any BMW model to date. LED headlights as standard, Adaptive LED Headlights and BMW Laserlight with Selective Beam and extended high beam range of up to 600 metres available as options. Size-Wise? The 8’s exterior length is 4,843 mm, with a width of 1,902 mm, a height of 1,341 mm and a 2,822 mm wheelbase. Optional extras include: M carbon roof and M Carbon exterior package with air intake slats, exterior mirror covers, rear spoiler and rear diffuser in CFRP.
The 8 Series will be stuffed with technology and infotainment:
· Standard equipment includes new BMW Operating System 7.0 display and control concept. BMW Live Cockpit Professional including fully digital instrument cluster and 10.25-inch Control Display with consistent, modern graphics. Flat, touch-oriented menu structure for fast access to settings and functions. Customisable display adapts to the situation at hand and provides the driver with the right information at the right time.
· BMW Digital Key permits access to the vehicle and engine start by smartphone.
· Software updates “over the air”.
· Integration of Microsoft Office 365 and Skype for Business.
· Parking Assistant – automated guidance for parallel and perpendicular parking. Reversing Assistant steers the vehicle when reversing over a distance of up to 50 metres on the same course as the last completed forward parking manoeuvre.
· Latest version of the BMW Head-Up Display has a 16 per cent larger projection surface, optimised 3D graphics and additional display content.
· Innovative driver assistance systems enhance safety and comfort. Further progress towards automated driving, with Driving Assistant Professional including Active Cruise Control and Stop & Go function, Steering and lane control assistant, Lane Change Warning and Lane Departure Warning, side collision protection, evasion aid, distance information, Crossing traffic warning, Priority warning and Wrong-way warning.