The electric powered Volkswagen ID. Buzz has won the coveted title Irish Car of the Year for 2023. VW has managed a double as the commercial version of ID. Buzz – the ID. Cargo bagging the crown of Irish Van of the Year 2023. The awards that Motorhub votes on sees a third consecutive year that an EV has won top spot. The overall winner was chosen from the list of car category winners as voted on by motoring journalists, members of the newly formed MMAI Motoring Media Association of Ireland (formed from a merger of the APMP and IMWA).
The awards were held in the Westin Hotel, Dublin, in association with Continental Tyres. The judging grouping brought together some 32 of Ireland’s most experienced motoring journalists who hosted the awards event attended by Ireland’s leading car brands, importers and distributors.
The Irish Car of the year category winners:
1. Irish Small Car of the Year: Fiat 500e
2. Irish Compact Car of the Year: Opel Astra
3. Irish Compact Executive Car of the Year: Mercedes-Benz C-Class
4. Irish Compact Crossover / SUV of the Year: Kia Niro
5. Irish Medium Crossover / SUV of the Year: Kia Sportage
6. Irish Large Crossover / SUV of the Year: Citroen C5X
7. Irish MPV of the Year: Volkswagen ID. Buzz
8. Irish Luxury Car of the Year: Mercedes-Benz EQS
9. Irish Large Executive Car of the Year: Mercedes-Benz EQE
10. Irish Performance Car of the Year: BMW i4 M50
Chairman of the MMAI, Joe Rayfus: “The Volkswagen ID. Buzz is a really worthy winner of the Irish Car of the Year title, it is a truly stand-out vehicle. As the third electric vehicle to win the title, it really does confirm the onward march in Ireland towards an electric motoring future. Just look at our field of runners for this year’s awards, more than half of the contenders are available as either partial or full electric vehicles”.
Tom Dennigan of awards sponsor, Continental Tyres said: “After the Covid disruption that impacted on the Irish Car of Year awards over the past couple of years, we are delighted to be back with these awards for 2023. The MMAI jurors provide a great service to Irish motorists in providing a really helpful insight into the broad range of increasingly sophisticated car models that are launched here each year. No doubt, the Irish Car and Irish Van of the Year titles will be a huge boost to the popularity of the ID. Buzz in the new vehicle market in January and throughout 2023.”
The all electric ID. Buzz uses the same 77kWh battery as the Volkswagen ID.4 and delivers a 420km range from a single charge.